How to Complete Your Matric


Are you struggling to find an affordable way to do your matric? Feeling a bit lost? Not knowing how to complete your matric? Careers Portal have compiled all the contact information for you.

Did you know there are an estimated 3.3 million illiterate adults in South Africa.

Adult Basic Education and Training (ABET) is available to adults who want to finish their basic education.

An outcomes-based programme, ABET aims to provide basic learning tools, knowledge and skills, and provides participants with nationally recognised qualifications.

The four levels of ABET training are equivalent to Grades R to 9.


ABET includes training in:

•language, literacy and communication
•mathematical literacy, mathematics and mathematical sciences
•natural science
•arts and culture
•life orientation
•human and social science

•economic and management science.

Learners can also choose to take courses in:

•small, medium and micro enterprises (SMMEs)
•wholesale and retail
•travel and tourism
•applied agriculture
•early childhood development

•ancillary health care.

ABET programmes are overseen by the Western Cape Education Department

There are ABET centres in each of the eight Education Districts. Contact the District AET Manager in your area to find out which courses are available.

Detailed information on ABET qualifications and curriculum is available on the WCED ABET Assessment website.

•ABET and Community Learning Centres in Western Cape Contact List

GAUTENG List of AET Centres


Most Asked Questions from Students:

Q When is the closing date for Supplementary Examinations?

A 21 January or 21 days after the publication of results.

Q When will the examination start?

A The timetable is available on our website or can be obtained from the Provincial Education Department head office. The supplementary exams are usually scheduled from mid-February to the end of March.

Q When do I write individual subjects?

A Admission letters will be mailed two (2) weeks before the start of the examinations.

Q When will the results be available?

A The results will be available towards the end of April.

Q How many subjects am I entitled to re-write in the supplementary examinations?

A You can re-write a maximum of two (2) subjects.

Q I wrote the November 2010 National Senior Certificate examinations in another province. Can I write supplementary examinations in the Western Cape?

A No. It will be reflected as an incomplete result as another province’s School Based Assessment marks are required to calculate the final results.

Q I wrote the National Senior Certificate examinations in 2008/2009. Do I qualify to write the forthcoming supplementary examinations in March?

A No, only candidates who wrote the November examinations the previous year are allowed to write the supplementary examinations.

Q I was a repeat learner and wrote two subjects in the November National Senior Certificate examinations. Can I sit for the supplementary examinations in March?

A Yes, repeaters may write the supplementary examinations.

Q I failed only one subject, Life Orientation. Am I allowed to register for the supplementary exam in March?

A Yes, Life Orientation is an internal examination conducted at the school attended. Candidates must register with the Provincial Education Department. The improved moderated mark must reach the department by the end of March.

Q I passed all my subjects, but my marks were lower compared to my internal school assessment. Do I qualify to write the supplementary examinations?

A Yes, only for approved further studies that requires better grades.

Q I passed all my subjects (NSC/Bachelors), but need a higher pass rating to get university entrance for further studies. Do I qualify to write the supplementary examinations?

A Yes, on condition that you submit proof of the entrance requirements.

Q Where can I get a registration form for the March supplementary examinations?

A The registration forms for the supplementary examinations are available at the Provincial Education Department Offices, secondary schools or on the department’s website.

Q I did not write Paper 2 of a subject during the November examinations. Can I only re-write that paper?

A The option to only write the paper for which you were absent during the November examination is subject to a decision of the irregularity committee, or if you were medically unfit. In all other circumstances, a candidate must re-write all written papers (i.e., Home Language Paper 1, Paper 2 and Paper 3).
KwaZulu-Natal: 0800 204 353/0860 596 363/033 846 5000
Eastern Cape: 0860 638 636/040 608 4205
Free State: 051 404 8000
Gauteng / Jo’burg: 011 355 000/0559/0966
Limpopo: 015 290 7600/1
Mpumalanga: 0800 204 098/013 766 5462
Northern Cape: 053 839 6683/96
North West: 018 387 3700/48
Western Cape: 0800 454 647/0861 923 322/021 467 2535/2000

National Basic Education: 0800 202 933/012 357 3000


Western Cape Education Department Website

Gauteng Education Department Website

Department of Basic Education Website

Related Article:Click Here to ABET or Matric training as an adult?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *